New windows have been fitted, where planners agreed, with double or triple-glazed opening-sash timber frames, which were built by local men in a proper joiners shop up the road in Berwick. On the front of the building, where our joiner David refurbished and repaired the original long windows, we're looking for a secondary double-glazing solution - although those full-length windows are proving to be quite a challenge!
We need a lot of lights, and so we've been careful to use low-energy mains-voltage units everywhere we can. As technology has developed in recent years, we've now replaced all those halogen bulbs around the house with LED units.
And most importantly of all, the whole renovtion project was undertaken with the help of local tradesmen, who are part of the life of this village and the surrounding area. Geoff and his Dad, Billy, were the main backbone of the project. Billy is well into his seventies, but is still renowned as the best plasterer for a very long way. He is a real raconteur, and had loads of stories of being in the church as a boy. Our joiner, David, is part of one of the founding families of the church when it was established in 1810, so it was a very special job for him, to bring the building back to life. He donated a piece of family furniture, which stands in the Cuthbert room. Another local father-and-son team, David and Scott, were our electricians, and always responded cheerfully (in their own way!) when we moved their goalposts.
Jill was the project manager, permanently on-site with these guys for ten months solid, whilst Jeff worked a part-time day-job too. We all built up a great working relationship together - and she felt a little bereft when they left! We always say that we would do it all again, if we could take these guys with us to the next job...