We are a small business, so cancellations can have a big impact on us, especially if we have turned away potential guests in favour of someone who has already booked and who then cancels. We do, however, appreciate that unforeseen circumstances can intervene, and we try to be as sympathetic and helpful as possible in such cases.
If you cancel more than two weeks before your intended check-in date, then your booking deposit will be retained. (Your booking deposit is nominally 'non-refundable' but we will always do our best to accommodate your needs should they change, and if we can re-let your room and give it back to you, then we will - minus a modest admin charge. We have no desire or intention to 'profit' from your cancellation.)
If you cancel at any time within two weeks of your intended check-in date, then we will do our very best to re-let your room. If we are unable to do so, you will be required to pay for any nights which have not been re-let.
If You fail to arrive at St Cuthbert's House to take up Your booked accommodation ('no-show') then you will remain liable for the total cost of Your booking.
We hope you’ll consider this fair, for everyone.
Now - our full T&C: Thank you for choosing to make a booking with St Cuthbert's House. We look forward to welcoming you. By making this booking you are entering into a legally binding agreement with us.
1. These Booking Terms apply to St Cuthbert’s House, (‘We’/’Us’/’Our’) and the person making the Booking or to whom We supply services in respect of the Booking (‘You/Your’). These Booking Terms are governed by English law and apply to all Bookings except where We agree in writing other terms. By making a Booking You are deemed to accept these Booking Terms and Conditions.
Special note for divers:
2. St Cuthbert's House is not suitable for diving groups, and therefore we cannot accommodate divers. We reserve the right to cancel or terminate Your booking if You have come to dive, whether or not You have arrived for check-in or have already checked in. By making a booking in contravention of this Condition, You will be liable for the cost of cancellation or termination as set out in paragraph 26.
Arrival and departure
3. Check-in time is from 16:00 (4pm) to 18:00 (6pm), and check-out time is 10:30 (10.30am), unless We have agreed otherwise. Please give us an estimated time of arrival, and call us on 01665 720456 if you are delayed and/or will be arriving late.
Conditions of stay
4. We cannot accommodate: pets of any description; children under 12 years of age; divers; stag or hen groups. We reserve the right to cancel or terminate Your booking if Your party includes any of these excluded groups, whether or not You have arrived for check-in or have already checked in. By making a booking in contravention of this Condition, You will be liable for the cost of cancellation or termination as set out in paragraph 26.
5. St. Cuthbert's House is designated entirely 'non smoking'. If you choose to smoke outside the house, within the grounds or vicinity, you agree to dispose of smoking materials with consideration. No cigarette ends or used smoking materials are to be disposed of anywhere within the house, or within the grounds. Failure to comply with these 'no-smoking' conditions may incur a 'deep cleaning' charge.
6. We reserve the right to terminate Your Booking immediately, without being liable for any refund or compensation, if You engage in behaviour which, in Our view, is unacceptable or which causes a disturbance or nuisance to other guests.
7. You agree to take all reasonable care whilst staying in our property. You are responsible and liable for any breakages or damages caused by Your act, omission, default or neglect. We ask that you report any incidents of damage, spillages etc as they occur (where this is practicable) or as soon as possible thereafter, so that we may take remedial action as quickly as possible.
8. We may choose not to charge for minor incidents, but We will charge You for any replacement, repair or extra cleaning which We deem necessary resulting from any reckless, careless or inconsiderate use of the property and its contents, or of the items (including linens, towels and gowns) provided for your use.
9. We may make an additional charge of £50 if you did not report an incident of damage in a timely manner.
10. You agree to indemnify Us and to pay Us the amount reasonably required to make good or remedy any damage or loss. We reserve the right to invoice You following departure, should We deem it necessary to incur cleaning or other charges to remedy any damage or loss You have caused or allowed. If You have given debit/credit card details in order to make payment, then You agree that We may debit that credit card with an amount as may be required to remedy such damage.
11. We do not accept any liability for any damage, loss or injury to any member of your party or any vehicles or possessions, unless proven to be caused by a negligent act by ourselves or our employees whilst acting in the course of employment. We will not be liable for failure to perform to the extent that the failure is caused by any factor beyond Our reasonable control.
12. All published rates include VAT at the current rate. Our rates are quoted 'per room per night', and include heating, hot water, electricity, housekeeping, and breakfast. If booking online, Your online booking form will show the total amount payable for your stay. If booking by phone, the total amount payable will be agreed verbally and confirmed by email.
13. If You incur any supplements, they will be added to the total price of the Booking. All supplements purchased during your stay must be paid for in full on presentation of invoice.
14. Rates quoted are correct only for the specific number of guests and room nights on the dates shown. Should You change the number of guests, dates or room nights, then the rates are subject to change.
Bookings & Payments
15. Bookings are made, and a contract between You and Us comes into effect, when We accept a reservation from You. We will accept a reservation when We have confirmed Your reservation and received from You a non-refundable deposit equivalent to the cost of your first night's stay. The balance must be paid by You to Us during (or before) your stay.
16. Deposit payments can be paid using a valid credit or debit card which We are able to accept, or by cheque at least two weeks in advance of check-in.
17. Balancing payments can be paid using a valid credit or debit card which We are able to accept, during Your stay.
18. Credit card payments may incur a 3% transaction surcharge.
19. You must be able to enter into a legally binding contract and be over 18yrs to make a Booking.
Cancellations, Amendments and Refunds
20. To make a cancellation at any time prior to arrival You must call Us on 01665 720456, or write to Us.
21. We reserve the right to treat each case on its own merits, and may choose to vary the conditions set out in paragraphs 22 to 27 below.
22. Please note that Your deposit is not automatically refundable under any circumstances. We recommend You consider insuring against the possibility of cancellation.
23. If You cancel Your booking more than two weeks before Your intended check-in date, then the non-refundable deposit which You have paid (usually equal to the cost of the first-night's stay) will be retained by Us.
24. If you cancel Your booking at any time within two weeks of your intended check-in date, then we will make all reasonable efforts to re-let the accommodation, but if we are unable to do so, You will remain liable for the total cost of any nights which have not been re-let.
We recommend You consider insuring against the possibility of cancellation. If You have given debit/credit card details in order to make payment of a deposit, then You agree that in the event of cancellation by You, We may debit Your credit card with the amount due for the cancelled booking.
25. Any refund We make to You will take account of any bank, credit or other charges We may have incurred in processing the transactions, and also a small administration fee.
26. Amendments which You make to Your booking (including arriving with, or as, children under 12 or someone who has come to dive, or other exclusions set out in paragraphs 2 and/or 4) which therefore result in the cancellation of any 'room night' will be treated in accordance with paragraphs 22 to 25 above.
27. If You fail to arrive at St Cuthbert's House to take up Your booked accommodation ('no-show') then You will remain liable for the total cost of Your booking.
Cancellation by Us
28. We reserve the right to cancel a booking in the event of any cause beyond Our reasonable control which prevents Us from meeting Our obligations in connection with your booking. In such an event We will refund any payments You have made to Us, in full. Our liability would not extend beyond this refund. (Please note; we would only cancel your booking if your accommodation was unavailable for reasons beyond our control, and we would
attempt to offer you alternative accommodation. If this was not possible, or acceptable to you, then we would refund all monies you have paid.)
We look forward to welcoming You to St Cuthbert's House.