Here are some practical ideas for helping to save the world while you're here:
- Re-use your towels if they don't need replacing - which cuts down on electricity and water usage.
- If you’re going out, turn off all lights, and turn down the thermostatic radiator valves.
- Shop locally to support small independent businesses. The ‘Made in Northumberland’ scheme is a wonderful showcase for our local food and drink, gifts and crafts - all of which is available from local shops, farms and other outlets. Go try it!
- If your room gets too warm, turn the thermostatic valve down, rather than opening a window.
- Unplug your laptop! Even when it’s switched 'off' it still consumes energy on standby.
- Recycle! Every room has a bin for your convenience, and if you leave newspapers and other recyclable materials in or near it, we'll put it in our blue bin. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
- Use water wisely. Start by turning the tap off while you brush. Little things make a difference.
- Go for a walk instead of a drive. The world's most gorgeous beach is just a short stroll from St Cuthbert's House. Go walk on it. You'll be saving more than the planet...
- Consult the folder in the Cuthbert Room for some great ‘no-car day’ ideas.
- Help us to look after the beautiful Northumbrian landscape by disposing of litter carefully (even other people’s…) and using footpaths and other sensitive areas – like the beach and dunes – responsibly.
- Support Green Tourism Businesses! There are lots of businesses in our region trying to reduce their impact on our planet. Why not give them a helping hand by buying from them and supporting them in any way you can.
We all have busy lives to lead, but we're always on the lookout for little things which can make a big difference when we apply them collectively. If you have any great ideas, or you see something we could do better, we'd love to hear about it.